Blustery weather can hit at any time in the winter months—and while a blanket of wintery white may look beautiful, it can make for treacherous travel. Here’s some tips to get you through the rest of winter... it’ll be spring in no time!
- Pack it. Keep an emergency kit in your car with essentials, like blankets, jumper cables, an ice scraper, flashlight and more. Think: if I was stranded, what would I need until help arrived? Then, add more.
- Liquid display. Check your fluids, like antifreeze and windshield fluid, regularly. And, keep at least half a tank of gas in your car at all times.
- Nothing idle. Warming up your car in enclosed spaces is a no-no—even if you open the garage door a crack. And, if you’re parked in a snowdrift, make sure the tailpipe is clear to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Test ‘em. Get a feel for your brakes in a safe wintery setting, like a plowed parking lot. Stomp on anti-lock brakes to engage them, while pumping non-antilock brakes to get them gripping.
- Clear it. Sure, you just need to scrape snow off the front and rear windows to see when you drive. But be a dear and think of people driving behind you. That means clearing off your roof and the tail-lights.
- Ride, don’t slide. If you find yourself skidding because of snowy conditions, steer into the direction of your skid. The tread on your tires will help straighten you out.
- Watch the merge. Exit and entrance ramp get less attention from snow plows, which zoom down the highways and byways. So be especially careful merging.
- Plan for problems. The worst thing in winter? Being stuck with a breakdown as the flurries start. Avoid that by checking out a vehicle service plan by ForeverCar. ForeverCar offers a variety of plans that take the worry out of a vehicle breakdown, and handle all the aspects—from getting a tow truck and rental to coordinating with a mechanic and payment.
A winter breakdown can be more than a hassle. It can be downright dangerous. Rest easy and rest assured with a ForeverCar vehicle service plan.